2002
 

Staff
  • Jeff
  • Daniel
  • Clayton
  • Al
  • Brian
Extended Staff
  • Jessy Torkle
  • Daniel
  • Alex Williams
  • Gilbert
  • Alex ?

This year we expanded again and need a few more people than last year, This year we did a lot better on costumes. Unfortunately we never got a photo of us all.  There we the usual couple people in black with scull masks, also we made a few "bum" costumes consisting of tattered clothes, jeans, flannel ... (Think Knott's Scary Farm) for the sewer.  There was one red neck costume for our chain saw guy and finally two poke-a-dot costumes for the dot room. These were back "terror" robes that be bought from the local party store with small dot's to match the dot room.

Summary

After 2 years we have finally got the construction aspects down and were able to workout many problems that we had in the past years. This year we had two major obstacles to over come, the first was building a 10-foot spinning tunnel and the second building almost three time the amount of maze as last year with most of it outdoors. For the first part we used the same design from the second year with some improvements. A metal structure was built to span the The Backyard Structure gap from the house to the wall at a right angle (See Photo "Hall 1 - 4") then plastic tarp was connected to it. The back portion of the yard was the sewer, which was standard built with standard construction principals, except for the roof. For that we built a ~40 foot long support beam that was connected to the top of the wall's frigidity and to support the roof. From there we hung a tarp from one wall then over the beam to the other wall. Finally it was supported with cross beams every two feet. The rest of the outside building all followed the same format, so I'll move on to the spinning tunnel. For the spinning tunnel we started off by making two 9 foot ring's. We made those by a router to a rod that would swing in the correct size arc to cut the The Spinning Tunnel wood. Each ring was made of 3 layers of 1/4 inch. plywood connected with 1 in screws. Once the rings were made they were connected together using six 10 foot steel pipes, evenly spaced around the edge. To hold and rotate the ring's we used four old bike wheels. connected the base. As for the cloth we used two sheets of canvas died black, which were then splatter painted while the tunnel was spinning to give the best look. To help support the cloth we wound heavy wire around the outside of the tunnel to give it a smoother circle. To power the tunnel we first started off with a 3/8 hp motor off an old dentist chair. At first that was to fast so we added a dimmer to try and slow it down. Later as we finished it the motor was not power full enough so we switched it over to a new motor from an electric tiller. Well, here's were the fun begins. On Halloween night 30 min. till we open that dies, not over heating, or a fuse, it dies. So this Halloween our tunnel was human powered, thanks to Jeff's dad who stood next to it, and spun it when ever people came by. But all work out well, so until next year.


 
Valid XHTML 1.0 Transitional


Last modified Friday, May 30th, 2014 @ 10:07pm